Winter warmer: Add Phil’s hearty and wholesome soup to your winter repertoire.
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic – thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small red cabbage (approx. 600g) – cut finely
- 1 regular-sized tin of Italian tomatoes (240g)
- 1 regular-sized tin of cannellini white beans (240g) – drained and rinsed
- chicken stock – make your own or buy (500g)
- 1 small dried red chilli
- 1 thin Italian sausage (300g) – cut into pieces
- Seasoning to taste
- Heat the olive oil and bay leaves in a heavy-bottomed pan, then sautée onion and garlic.
- Add thinly sliced cabbage, stock and chilli. Also add the sausage by crumbling it with your fingers. Cook for 40-50 minutes on a low heat.
- Then add the white beans so they heat through properly (approx 10 minutes).
SERVE WITH BRUSCHETTA:
Cut thin slices of sour dough bread and toast. Rub with a peeled garlic clove and stand the toast upright in each soup bowl, before adding finely grated parmesan. Tuck in and enjoy.
To make a vegetarian soup adapt the recipe with veggie stock and replace the sausage with two fresh tomatoes, a couple of chunks of pumpkin and some kale (remove the rib then cut up the leaves thinly).
- For a quick fix of vitamins to keep germs at bay, or when recuperating, try a smoothie made using a NutriBullet. Or make a big pot of soup and freeze portions.
- Take the bite out of winter by trying new restaurants. Phil’s got his eye on the new Chinese Laundry, 107 Upper Street.
- Explore Islington’s food shops – Italian delis, fish from Steve Hatt or Moxon’s and cheese from La Fromagerie at Highbury Barn.